So you want to be a novelist but have no idea where to start. The novel writing process can be daunting. Here’s a list of resources to help get you going. Pace yourself.
All creatives have their own voice, style, and process. If you haven’t found yours, don’t worry, you will.
Writing is a roller coaster ride of emotions. Some days you’ll feel like you’ve got it all figured out. Other days, you’ll feel like burning your manuscript and never writing again. Put down the matches. Stop being so hard on yourself. Writing takes time, persistence, and patience.
The most important thing to remember about writing a novel is to write. Writing doesn’t mean you need to grab your laptop and head for a coffee shop. Writing doesn’t mean waiting for inspiration. Writing doesn’t mean a quiet cabin overlooking a lake. These notions, while romantic notions are not realistic. There may not always be trendy coffee shops, quiet spaces, ambient settings, and your muse may take frequent vacations. Write anyway. That’s what writers do.
Best of luck!
1. I want to be a writer but have no idea where to start.
Self-Published Authors Helping Other Authors covers every topic on writing I can think of and then some. Author Ruth Ann Nordin also has a series of YouTube videos on the writing process.
2. Should I make an outline or pants it? My characters suck. I’m having issues with my plot. Writing a book is harder than I thought. Help!
3. How Not To Write A Book and Writing Rules
4. Time Management
5. Help! I can’t think of any names for my characters!
Name that character. You could also try a phonebook or name generators.
6. I don’t think I’m cut out to be a writer. I think I’m ready to throw in the towel. 😦
7. Fantasy Writers
8. Mystery Writers
9. How do I write a sex scene?
10. Editing Your Work
11. Copyright Your Work
12. Pros and Cons of Self-Publishing vs. Traditional Publishing
I don’t want to self-publish. How do I find an agent?
Get out there! Go to writer’s conferences, they’re spendy but you’ll get to meet with editors and agents.
13. I want to self-publish. Where should I publish?
How do I publish an ebook?
14. How do I format my novel for self-publishing?
Ebook formatting: Paul Salvette’s Smashwords Formatting Tutorial
Createspace formatting: Tutorial Walkthrough: Formatting Documents for CreateSpace
15. More Writer Resources
16. Facebook Writer Pages
- Writer’s Digest
- The Writer’s Circle
- Writers Write
- Every Writer
- Freedom With Writing
17. One Last Thing